- Abstracts must be submitted alongside an academic CV.
- Articles should be 6,000-8,000 words in length, excluding notes and bibliography.
- Book, film, television, and web reviews should be approximately 750 words.
- Articles are to be submitted in UK English. For referencing, 49th Parallel uses the Chicago Manual of Style notes and bibliography system. Please visit Chicago Manual of Style Online for more details. Articles which do not comply with this format will not be published.
- All text based articles to be sent in Microsoft Word format, including endnotes and a bibliography. Text should be Times New Roman, size 12. The article title must be centred at the top of the first page, size 13, but not in bold or italicised.
Submissions should comply with the following:
- The authors name should not appear within the article aside from references to relevant other works. This is in order to comply with our policy of anonymous peer-review.
- All relevant illustrations, tables, audio-visual material must be submitted along with the manuscript.
- When submitting by email, all illustrations and audio-visual material must be sent as a separate email.
- Endnotes should be used instead of footnotes, and all article submissions must include a full bibliography.
Manuscripts will not be considered if they do not comply with the guidelines, or if they have been published elsewhere or are under consideration at another journal.
The Editors will provide confirmation of receipt and find a suitable peer reviewer. All Manuscripts are peer-reviewed anonymously. The Editors will contact the author with any suggested alterations, once an assessment of the submission has been received from reviewers. Articles returned to the editors with a status of ‘major revisions’ may be sent out for peer review a second time once the author believes s/he has addressed all of the peer reviewers concerns.
Once a Manuscript has been formally accepted, the Editors will send copyright forms that must be completed by the author and returned prior to the publication on the journal. More details will be provided.
The Editors’ decisions are final and are not subject to appeal.
Please note that the editors will always send an email to confirm receipt of submissions — therefore, if you don’t receive an email confirmation, this means that the editors haven’t received your submission.
Authors are free to upload post-acceptance and post-publication articles/reviews to their university Open Access depository or a secondary platform. Please provide bibliographic citation and include a link to 49th Parallel.
To submit, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively via post at:
Department of American and Canadian Studies,
University of Birmingham,